Langsung ke konten utama

OBSERVATION DAYS


According to Saowapon's journal about "Education Reform and E-Learning in Thailand", it is written that Thai teachers would like to be able adapt to change so that they could move Thailand in the direction of "student centered" learning. I could see the realization of its by the learning sources Chiengraknoi has.

Mathematics room at Chiengraknoi has a computer connected to projector and internet. It even has interactive projector with finger touch sensor. Not only in mathematics room, the facilities are also available for the other subjects' rooms, even the elementary ones! It surprised me that Thai's public school has such technology which is also available in private school.


There are computer, LDC projector, and fingertouched screen

Based on my observation, learning materials in Chiengraknoi is only from books. In mathematics class, the facilities served to support student’s learning are not used. What should be improved by Thailand in my perspective is its human resources. I had been observing Chiengraknoi's both english and mathematics class for a full week and what I found was that only English class used the facilities to teach (at least for the powerpoint, adobe, and youtube, though). Not even a single teacher in mathematics did. I'm not sure if the teachers didn't know about ICT based learning or there was another reason, but I knew there was no applications for mathematics. I would like to install my application there but the version wasn't match at all.

What is new about teaching in Thai is that the teacher is free to used what method, model, and approach to teach. They are not tied to any learning methods Indonesian always carry about. Thai’s lesson plan is even simpler than Indonesian. They only focus on practice for the day. When I asked a student teacher teaching at Chiengraknoi how can lesson plan can be this simple, she said that teaching a specific topic in one grade with so many section means that we have to prepare so many “tricks” to control the students. Section 1 might be okay with traditional method, but Section 2 might be familiar with contextual learning while Section 3 could be controlled by military system. By not adding what method we teach the students, the teacher can only adjust what method to used in every section or even doing research by combining some methods.

According to Thai’s version of lesson plan, the procedure of teaching was divided by five steps : warm up, presentation, practice, production, and wrap up. Warm up is an activity when the teacher introduces a topic the student are going to learn about. Presentation is time for the teacher to explain about the topic along with the spontaneous questions and discussion. Practice is given by the teacher and done by the students in order to know how far is the understanding of the students’ about the topic. Production is time for the teacher to evaluate every activity of student as result. Wrap up is done at the end of activity as an opportunity for teacher to give conclusion and reinforcement. Time allocation given to teach a subject in one class is only 60 minutes per day. It is important for the teacher to be able to allocate the time as maximum as they can. The way of teacher organizes class’ activity depends on curriculum.

Komentar

Postingan populer dari blog ini

CHIENGRAKNOI SCHOOL : Where my heart is docked...

Chiengraknoi School is a public school located in Bang Pa-In District, Pathum Thani, Thailand. This school is consist of four building.  The smallest building is used for canteen at first floor and kindergarten at second floor.  Both bigger buildings are used for elementary.    The biggest one is used for lower secondary (junior high) school. This school has no upper secondary (senior high) school level yet. All academic supports system in Chiengraknoi School are actually government employees. Curriculum used in this program is Base Education Core Curriculum B.E. 2551 (A.D. 2008) by Thailand’s Minister of Education, which is the outcomes of the studies revealed problems and issues from shortcoming of the 2001 Curriculum.  

ASSISTING & TEACHING WEEKS : SHOW TIME!

At the weeks of assisting, I accompanied my friend, Gelo, in English for primary. In teaching Math, I was so lucky that I can choose the topics as I want.   I chose Pythagorean Theorem as my choice. It’s different when I have to prepare my lesson plan of English and Math. In preparing English one, I need to focus on what the Grade 6 students interest in. They are in their teenage so there will be a possibility they will get bored if I teach in primary style or confused if I use secondary style. According to my observation, they also not really understand English well that it’s a challenge for me. I prepared my lesson plan in primary style, but in action I asked them to be independent so they saw me that I believe them as an adult, not a child—typical of teenager. In preparing Math one, I had different challenge because I’m in condition when I taught Math and English a the same time. Thai people are not used to listen or speak English. I was afraid there would be so ma

PRELIMINARY : THE ME WHO WAS BORN

Hello, readers! Glad to have you. Welcome to a little part of my life! In my country, there's proverb says, "Don't know means don't love," so that's why I'll start my blog with... introduction? Just a little bit about me. Well, my name is Christantri Martha Liani. You can call me Chris or Tantri for short, whatever. I'm living in a happy, simple, loveable, little world named family along with a full-of-charisma father, a motherly mother,  annoying-but-capable brother and sister, and my loyal labrador. Even born as the youngest, it doesn't mean that my parents spoil me. My dad is gruff and strict about ethics and and social manner, but he's really gentle inside, though. On the other hand, my mom is a type of mother everybody looking for, even though she's being childish sometimes. Not only my parent, but my siblings are very explicit about my how my studying should be well. But all those things happened aren't only just being the